Dragonite Kit

The family and I were out and about window shopping/grocery shopping over the weekend and we came across this cool Pokemon build kits. After much debate I decided to that Dragonite was the best choice.


I’ve build a few different kinds of model kits but never one from Nanoblocks. Judging from the outside it does not look like something that is going to be overly difficult, maybe mildly annoying. So I ripped the top and dumped the packaged contents onto my work space.


Its a little sparse on words for directions. The few words that are in the instructions are in Japanese but the pictures are done very well. So this should be relatively easy to follow. The package of parts how ever will require some sorting. I find that sorting everything out may seem like an extra step but, it is very helpful in just grabbing the pieces as you need them instead of hunting for them.


For the extra small pieces I used my empty diamond puzzle trays to help keep them organized. The larger pieces I sorted out on my table. This step was probably the most crucial piece of prep work in the assembly of Dragonite. Having all the pieces out and organized was one less thing I had to concentrate on while trying to decipher the pictures for assembly.

20190526_1349212375102933729861057.jpg 2 afternoons of work later I had managed to build all the individual ‘main’ pieces. The head, the body, and both wings. All that is left to do is figure out how they all attach to each other. This step was the most difficult because the few words that were in Japanese are the ones that help tell you how to hold the pieces in order to find the right places to connect.

20190526_1354168490530502974786164.jpgDragonite is finally completed! Its about the same size as my Triceratops model. Overall it was a pretty alright kit. It had enough challenge in it to keep me intrigued but it wasn’t heavily dependent on translating the Japanese words to get the model completed. I definitely would like to purchase more of these kits in the future and have a bunch of pokemon built!


This week I treated myself to a cute little dinosaur kit!

He is the same company that made my cute little dragon that is in my home page banner. They are super easy kitsch but still neat and challenging. Each box (that I’ve seen) has these neat facts on the side of the box hat require you to find your answers as you build.

The inside flaps of the box also have super basic instructions. It may be a bit too basic but I also dont see a way that would modify for slightly better clarification.

So step 1 as with building absolutely anything is to lay everything out and make sure you have all the required pieces.

This kit came with and extra (yellow) center piece, all the required pieces for construction and the glue. I like to separate out my left side pieces from my right side pieces to make construction a little easier.

The actual construction is a bit tricky. The glue is basically white glue so not super sticky at first. I find the best way to get the first 2 pieces glued is to put the one side on the center stick and add the glue then smoosh down the other side through the center stick. Then I let that dry for a minute. This prevents it from moving around too much. It does however run the rush of the glue also adhering to the center stick which is not something you want to happen.

After letting the center dry a bit, I choose 1 side and layer up everything far enough so that I can place the eyeball in and then repeat for the other side.

After a center point of boiling up the layers you get to the final layers that require the center stick. The few remaining pieces at this point do not have a slot for the center stick. If you managed to not have too much glue adhering to the center stick it’s pretty easy to gently wiggle it out. But if you enjoy glue a little too much like I do you need to find some pliers and use a little bit of gentle force to rip the center stick out.

After the center stick is out it is just a simple few small solid pieces to cover up the hole. These pieces are the most difficult because you have the line each piece up just right and let it dry before you can add the next one.

In the end, it’s a thick collection of cardboard and glue but the choices of figures are super cute. The company itself is based out of New Zealand but with a little searching you can find the kits almost anywhere on the internet.

Also, here are the answers to the facts on the box.